Such a southern thing, the hummingbird cake. Although its history is shrouded in mystery and conflicting tales of its origins, its key ingredients have remained the same over the years. And it’s just damn good. When doing my research, I found just about every kind of recreation and twist on the cake but no parfaits! And since everybody doesn’t have the time nor inclination to make a hummingbird cake from scratch, you’re welcome! For my tasty rendition with all the flavors of a hummingbird cake, without all the fuss… cinnamon. bananas. pineapple. crunchy toasted pecans. cream cheese.
What more could you ask for? Time? The time it would take to mix and make and bake? Well you just slash that time, make yourself a grocery list and fix a bunch of these Hummingbird Cake Parfaits to freeze and grab whenever you take a notion!
Enjoy on the patio with these Everything Pork Smash Burgers with toasty hoop cheese and a side of Smoky Okra Fries.
Published in Carolina Country Magazine May 2021
Food propping/styling and photography © (copyrighted) by Wendy Perry.
Carolina Country Magazine Contributing Recipes Editor
Disclosure: I only use and recommend products here I use myself. I may receive a small commission from affiliate links on this or other posts on this web site at no additional costs to you.
CLICK HERE TO SUBSCRIBE TO MY TABLE SCRAPS E-ZINE NEWSLETTER!
Find me on social media:
Wendy’s HOME Economics! Page on FB @culinaryadventuristwendy on IG
Aunt Dee Dee’s Kitchen Page on FB @auntdeedeeskitchen on IG
Credentials @ LinkedIn
Be sure to visit my online stores:
Aunt Dee Dee’s Kitchen for my unique seasonings, dried goods, pickles, jams, preserves, kitchen linens and more! New goodies arriving in 2023.
And for the best budget-friendly MADE IN THE USA by folks like you and me, my Rada Knives and Kitchen Tools online store.
And my Watkins 1868 Store. Did your mama and grandma buy from “the Watkins Man?” The best vanilla…
THESE LINKS CAN ALSO BE FOUND ON SIDE MENU OF MY BLOG HOME PAGE.
The most popular Southern Living cake ever… the Hummingbird Cake
Hummingbird Ice Cream Parfait with toasted pecans and buttercream whip
- ½ gallon butter pecan ice cream, softened
- 1 8 ounce can crushed pineapple, drained
- 2 bananas, peeled and cubed
- 2 teaspoons allspice or apple pie spice
- 4 ounces cream cheese, softened
- ½ pint whipping cream
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon powdered sugar
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup roughly chopped pecans
- 3-4 cups cinnamon graham cereal, crush half
- Fold pineapple, bananas and spice into softened ice cream. Place back in freezer for several hours or overnight to firm.
- For buttercream whipped topping, use a mixer to combine cream cheese, whipping cream and butter until peaks are almost stiff. Blend in vanilla and sugar.
- For the pecans, melt 2 tablespoons of butter over medium heat. Add pecans and toast them, stirring frequently, about 7 minutes. Pour onto parchment paper to cool and sprinkle with salt.
- To assemble the parfaits, put some of the cereal in the bottom of each glass. Add a scoop of ice cream and repeat layers. Top with whipped cream, dust with cinnamon and garnish with the buttery, toasty pecans.