I love stewed tomatoes but they are not something you hear tell of often. On occasion, I’ll get lucky at a K&W Cafeteria and find some there. Theirs tend to be simple like mine too. They are so good just as they are, but I like best spooned over navy beans and summer field peas. If you like stewed tomatoes, you might also like my simple tomato jam!
Do you like stewed tomatoes? Did you grow up eating them or see on menus anywhere these days?
Be sure to visit my online stores:
Aunt Dee Dee’s Kitchen for my seasonings, dried goods, pickles, jams, preserves, kitchen linens and more! Lots of new goodies in 2023.
And for the best budget-friendly MADE IN THE USA by folks like you and me, my Rada Knives and Kitchen Tools online store.
THESE LINKS CAN ALSO BE FOUND ON SIDE MENU OF MY BLOG HOME PAGE.
Ma Perry's Stewed Tomatoes
- 1 15 ounce can diced tomatoes or stewed tomatoes undrained
- a couple tablespoons sugar
- salt and lots of black pepper
- a plop of butter
- 2 sliced white bread
- Heat tomatoes in a small saucepan with sugar,salt and pepper to boil, then to a slow simmer for 8-10 minutes to reduce just a bit. Stir in butter. Tear up a piece or two of bread (any sort you have on hand… rolls, buns, etc.) Stir into tomatoes so the bread absorbs the juice.
- Serve as is or over navy beans, field peas or greens!