Butter + Biscuits + Cornbread + fresh local blueberries = YUM!
Whether enjoying on a warm sultry summer morning on the porch at the beach or in Christmas pajamas with family by a crisp fire, these cornbread biscuits will bring smiles to all. And oh, did I mention… they’re “swimming” in butter?
Try as I might, I’ve tried to find some history about butter swim biscuits with no luck (so if reading this and have anything to share on that, please do). No matter where they came from, what a genius idea to make biscuits that are literally swimming in butter! When I created this recipe it was the middle of summer… peak blueberry season here in North Carolina. But since we can find fresh blueberries mostly year-round now, you can make and enjoy these anytime. You can throw them together faster than the time it takes to preheat the oven… and ready in time for that 2nd cup o’coffee. Eat with a spoon… unless, you like finger lick’n which is what you’ll be doing with these little buttery biscuits if enjoyed by hand.
Fix these cornbread biscuits to put out on breakfast and brunch buffets… or as I sometimes enjoy… and a side dish to savory charred grilled meats, especially pork. No matter how or where… bake up a dish or two of these decadent soft-with-a-little-crunch-on-top cornbread biscuits. You’ll be the biscuit rock star. And PS… this is a great recipe for your aspiring chefs to make too.
This recipe created for and published in Carolina Country Magazine July 2022
Food propping/styling and photography © (copyrighted) by Wendy Perry.
Carolina Country Magazine Contributing Recipes Editor
Disclosure: I only use and recommend products here I use myself. I may receive a small commission from affiliate links on this or other posts on this web site at no additional costs to you.
CLICK HERE TO SUBSCRIBE TO MY TABLE SCRAPS E-ZINE NEWSLETTER!
Find me on social media:
Wendy’s HOME Economics! Page on FB @culinaryadventuristwendy on IG
Aunt Dee Dee’s Kitchen Page on FB
@auntdeedeeskitchen on IG
Credentials @ LinkedIn
Be sure to visit my online stores:
Aunt Dee Dee’s Kitchen for my seasonings, dried goods, pickles, jams, preserves, kitchen linens and more! Lots of new goodies in 2022.
And for the best budget-friendly MADE IN THE USA by folks like you and me, my Rada Knives and Kitchen Tools online store.
THESE LINKS CAN ALSO BE FOUND ON SIDE MENU OF MY BLOG HOME PAGE.
Butter Swim Cornbread Biscuits with blueberries and rosemary
- 1 stick butter
- 1 ½ cups all purpose flour
- 1 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 ⅔ cup buttermilk
- ¼ cup chopped fresh rosemary
- 1 cup fresh blueberries*
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 teaspoons flake salt
- 2 tablespoons melted butter
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Put butter into an 8-by-8-inch baking dish to melt while oven heats and biscuits are made.
- Combine flour, cornmeal, baking powder, 2 tablespoons sugar and 1 teaspoon salt. Stir in buttermilk and rosemary until just blended and dough is wet. Overworking will make biscuits “tough.” Gently fold in blueberries.
- Spoon batter over melted butter and spread to edges with a spatula. Dust with 1 tablespoon of sugar and the flake salt if so desired. Cut into 3-by-3-inch squares before putting into hot oven.
- Bake 30–40 minutes until golden brown.
- Brush with the melted butter and let sit for butter to be absorbed. Cut and serve.