Published in Carolina Country Magazine December 2019
Who doesn’t love banana pudding? Or gingerbread? Well I thought it was time to share this goodie my catering clients have enjoyed for years… Gingerbread Banana Pudding!
This is such a fun dessert to offer at your Christmas gatherings… or anytime you have a crowd to feed. All parts n’pieces can be done ahead of time to assemble just before your company rings the doorbell. You can find large hinged jars for a few dollars at your local thrift store… or just put in a glass trifle dish or small punch bowl. Just be sure to put it in a serving dish where folks can see all the delicious layers inside!
Also included in this issue to round out a workfree party for you, this simple pork dish glazed with Peggy Rose’s Pepper Jelly…
Pork Tenderloin Sliders & Sweet Potato Sheet Pan Supper
and this sparkly punch!
Christmas Cheerwine Punch
with fruit-filled ice ring
Sit out with other self-serve goodies so you, the host/hostess, can enjoy your party too! Make your table festive with what makes your heart happy…. like I did here with my Ma Hocutt’s Christmas apron… one of many she had!
Run outside and snip some (free) greenery… turn on your Christmas tunes, and have FUN!
MERRY CHRISTMAS Y’ALL…
Be sure to join the festivities at my facebook community too!!
Gingerbread Banana Pudding with Molasses Whipped Cream
- 3 large eggs
- 1 cup sugar
- ½ cup blackstrap molasses
- ¾ cup coconut oil, liquified
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ teaspoon almond extract
- 1 cup self-rising flour
- ½ cup self-rising cornmeal mix
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 tablespoon apple pie spice
- 2 cups applesauce
- 4 large egg yolks
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 tall can evaporated milk
- 1 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Molasses Whipped Cream:
- 1 pint heavy whipping cream
- 5-6 ripe bananas, sliced
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease a 13 x 9-inch baking dish.
- Blend together eggs, sugar, molasses, coconut oil and extracts.
- Combine dry ingredients in a bowl. Mix into wet ingredients a little at the time until well incorporated. Fold in applesauce.
- Pour into baking dish. Bake 30–40 minutes, until the surface starts showing cracks. Let cool.
- For the pudding, mix all ingredients together and cook in a double boiler, whisking occasionally until thickened. Cool. If pudding is thick, thin a bit with milk as you want it just thin enough to seep down into gingerbread.
- For the whipped cream, whip 1 pint of heavy whipping cream to firm peaks. Drizzle with molasses and swirl in with a knife.
- Now you are ready for assembly! In a jar or deep dish, loosely layer cubed gingerbread, banana slices, pudding and cream. Repeat, ending with whipped cream.