Published in Carolina Country Magazine October 2019
Several years ago, I won 2nd Place at the NC Sweet Potato Festival in Snow Hill for my Gingerbread Lollipups. The idea of nibbles on a craft stick is so fun, so when I was working on NC State Fair inspired recipes, I just knew something was going on a stick! This recipe combines several of my personal favorites from the fair. First, the country ham biscuit! We all have our personal favorite spot for those at the fair. Next, well… sticks! So many goodies come on the end of a stick… like the corn dog. And lastly, one just can’t go to the NC State Fair and not eat a hot hushpuppy in the Education building from House Autry! I get a few extra of those on days I’m there judging daily cooking contests since they are just steps outside of our little cove where we judge.
This fun recipe is a compilation of all those iconic fair faves into one. They are really easy to make, and can be served hot, or not! Make some molasses butter to dip your pups in… or create your own dip. You can find the sticks at craft stores and usually dollar stores too.
So fix yourself some Country Ham Lollipups soon… and enjoy them long after the fair has come and gone! I hope you will make it to the fair this year, and have yourself a heap’n help’n of good ole North Carolina good times!
Country Ham Lollipups
- vegetable or peanut oil
- popsicle sticks
- 1 cup hushpuppy mix... I used House Autry
- 1 tablespoon dehydrated onion
- ½ cup seltzer water*
- 4 teaspoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon sage
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- ¾ cup diced cooked country ham, about 4 ounces
- 3 tablespoons yellow mustard
- 3 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- ¼ cup mayonnaise
- 2-3 shakes Texas Pete
- 2 tablespoons molasses
- Pour oil 3 inches deep in fryer. Heat to medium-high (375 degrees).
- Combine all ingredients and mix together until well blended. Let rest 15 minutes. Batter will be stiff.
- Using fingers, pinch batter and make 1-inch balls. Carefully put into hot oil making sure not to crowd. Cook 3–5 minutes until golden brown. Drain.
- Stick popsicle stick into pups. Serve with molasses mustard.
- For molasses mustard, combine mustards, mayonnaise and hot sauce. Swirl in molasses.