Published in Carolina Country Magazine April 2018
Oh bacon, how we love thee. Let us count the ways!
It’s hard to make bacon more better… but y’all, you just must make some of my Sticky Pig Twigs to see it can be done. You can make them with honey or pepper jelly. When you make them, be sure to make a pile, because if there are many folks around, these sticky twigs won’t last very long! Just watch closely since they will burn in a minute if you don’t take out of the oven in time!
Enjoy! And come on over to my fun facebook community…
Sticky Pig Twigs
- 1 pound thick sliced bacon, cut in half
- 4 tablespoons hot pepper jelly or honey
- 1 tablespoon light brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons vinegar
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon stone ground mustard
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Blend all ingredients (except bacon).
- Line baking pan with foil or parchment paper. Place wire cooling rack over lined pan and spray. Lay slices of bacon on rack. Bake 15 minutes. Brush bacon with glaze and continue baking about 5 minutes. Turn bacon over and brush.
- Continue brushing and cooking at 5 minute intervals, checking to make sure bacon does not burn. Remove from oven when deep brown and edges are crisp and curled, about 30 to 35 minutes total. Cool on wax paper or rack.