Published in Carolina Country Magazine May 2018
Fun Food! That’s what hot dogs are… and sometimes, nothing will do but a hot dog when the craving comes upon us. Now I’m definitely a fan of a good simple hot dog, made with this vintage Zebulon recipe from the old Kannon’s Cafe. But it’s also fun to do something outside the box with my dogs. These Aloha Hula Hot Dogs are a little out there… with sweet n’hot Mango Slawsa scattered over them. But y’all…. so scrumptious! Surprise your guests and offer up some of these fun dogs. They’re great for the backyard or tailgating too!
Be sure to make some authentic Hawaiian Macaroni Salad to enjoy with these dogs too.
Aloha Hula Hot Dogs with Mango Slawsa
- 2 8-count pkgs. hot dogs
- 2 8-count pkgs. Hawaiian Bread hot dog rolls
- 1 8-ounce can sliced pineapple, reserve juice
- 1 red onion, sliced in rounds
- ¾ cup teriyaki glaze, divided
- 1 can Spam, diced and microwaved 2 minutes until crispy
- 2 jalapenos, thinly sliced
- toasted sesame seeds
- 1 14-ounce pkg. slaw mix
- 2 mangoes, peeled and diced
- 1 cup chopped cilantro
- reserved pineapple juice
- juice of 1 lime
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- Combine slawsa ingredients and let marinate several hours or overnight.
- Grill hot dogs and buns. Brush pineapple and onion with teriyaki glaze. Grill until lightly charred. Roughly chop.
- Stuff grilled dogs into grilled buns. Top with slawsa.
- Scatter with pineapple, onion, Spam, jalapeños, additional cilantro, sesame seeds and drizzle of teriyaki glaze.