Cucumber sandwiches. They cover all the bases… a little creamy, a little crispy. When was the last time you enjoyed some?
What’s not to love about little cuke sandwiches? Many of us here in the south grew up with them being staples at any sort of gathering like baby and bridal showers… and wedding receptions. I guess they could be officially called “Reception Sandwiches.”
Although we can find cucumbers year-round, keep an eye out now as our local farmers are starting to harvest. Shop local with them as much as you can. This supports our local economy… farm families that are active in our communities and nothing as good as produce touched by only 1 or 2 hands!
As we are here at Memorial Day weekend, make up a big batch of these and keep wrapped in fridge for quick snacks that will make everybody happy. Eat along… with soups… poolside… and at picnics! Lovely with a nice chowder… you can make and have on hand to simply add fish or seafood with my Farmers’ Market Spicy Seafood Chowder. And a glass of Frothy Brazilian Lemonade...
Perfect when you need “a little something” late morn or mid-afternoon with a cup o’coffee or ice cold sweet tea! A nice snack with a few salty peanuts.
Adding some fresh dill with take these old favorites to another place… and gives you a “bright” taste. Fresh dill just isn’t used often enough… it gives so many things new life… like my old favorite Dilly Swiss Tomato Pie. Can hardly wait for summer tomatoes… and all the delicious produce on the way!
Credentials @ LinkedIn
Disclosure: I only recommend products here I use myself. I may receive a small commission from affiliate links on this or other posts on this web site at no additional costs to you.
CLICK HERE TO SUBSCRIBE TO MY TABLE SCRAPS NEWSLETTER!
Be sure to visit (and share) my online stores:
Aunt Dee Dee’s Kitchen …my unique seasonings, kitchen doodads & more!
Rada Knives and Kitchen Tools USA made budget-friendly cutlery (great for gifting)
Watkins 1868 Store. Did your mama and grandma buy from “the Watkins Man?” The best vanilla…
LINKS CAN ALSO BE FOUND ON SIDE MENU OF BLOG HOME PAGE.
Crispy Dilled Cucumber Sammies
- 1 large English cucumber or other thin-skinned variety
- 1 small bunch radishes (about 6)
- 1 7 oz. cream cheese with vegetables, softened
- 4 tablespoons butter, softened
- 4 scallions, finely minced
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise (Duke’s preferred)
- ¾ cup fresh dill, minced and loosely packed
- ½ teaspoon white pepper
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- pinch salt
- 8 slices white bread
- salad sprouts, option
- Thinly slice cucumbers and place between paper towels to drain.
- Finely mince the radishes and set aside.
- Using a fork, smash together remaining ingredients except bread and sprouts.
- Spread evenly on all 8 slices of bread. Layer 4 slices with cucumbers and sprouts. Scatter the others with minced radishes, pressing lightly into the spread. Close each sandwich and slice in quarters. Garnish with snips of fresh dill and serve chilled.