Bacon Kissed NC Apples, Cabbage and Onions
|October 13, 2013||Posted by Wendy Perry under bacon & belly, cook & eat nekkid, cook'n with NC goodies, garden goodness, nekkid-throw cooking ~ what is THAT?, sensational sides|
What to throw together...
- bacon drippings
- thinly sliced cabbage ribbons
- thinly sliced onion, any kind will do
- thinly sliced apple, any kind of cooking apple will do
- couple pinches of brown sugar, optional
- generous pinch of sea salt
- generous crushed black pepper
How to throw together...
- Heat drippings to Medium High. Add in cabbage, onion and apple. Cook, tossing about frequently, until wilted and soft and cabbage and onion start caramelizing (turning a little brown, but not burned). Scatter with brown sugar, salt and pepper. Toss and serve!
Tis that time of year when we start hunkering down inside on chilly fall eves… and for some of us, what amounts to the start of “cooking season”! I threw together some stuffed pork chops yesterday and just dug around in my fridge to find the perfect side dish to go along with them. What I found was half a small cabbage, a NC apple (from a bowl full I’m using to create a recipe entry at the State Fair next week) and part of a red onion. One of my cast iron skillets happened to be sitting on top of the stove from earlier in the day… with a light coating of…. BACON DRIP’ns! Well that was just the perfect canvas for me to use for this quick and tasty side dish. This is true “throw cooking” using “nekkid food” at its finest… I do practic what I preach…. my friend Pam came over for supper, and she couldn’t stop eating this stuff…. so here you go! Throw some together for yourself. The caramelization of these veggies is just wondermous and is a scrumptious side dish for all sorts of stuff, or just crumble some bacon into this for a simple meal.