A few years ago while food styling and creating recipes at Our State Magazine, I had the opportunity to create some “sauces” for Fried Green Tomatoes! We Southerners know summertime isn’t complete without enjoying this tangy fried treat. OK, I’m sure some folks may coat and bake them, but Wendy don’t play that with some things, and “Fried” green ‘maters are one of those things.
Most of us have our preferred way to cook those, so this post isn’t about that…. since basically you just dip in buttermilk, crumbs…. and fry!
Today, I’d like to share the 3 toppings the magazine published. See if you find one you like, or if you have a preferred way to serve, please add a note about that in the comments below!
The toppings are…
- Herby Mayo Dressing… like Green Goddess
- Whipped Feta & Basil Pimento Cheese
- Sweet ‘n Hot Strawberry Spread
Enjoy these recipes on Our State’s site or printable below!
Recipes published June 2015
Herby Mayo Dressing for Fried Green Tomatoes
- ¾ cup mayonnaise, Duke's preferred
- ¼ cup buttermilk
- 2 tablespoons garlic paste (or 4 cloves, grated)
- 4 whole scallions, chopped
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh chives
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh tarragon
- ¼ cup chopped fresh flat leaf parsley
- 1 tablespoon white vinegar
- several turns freshly ground black pepper
- Put all ingredients into the bowl of a food processor. Pulse until the dressing is blended and the herbs are incorporated. Store in a jar in the refrigerator. Serve at room temperature.
Whipped Feta & Basil Pimento Cheese for Fried Green Tomatoes
- 8 ounces feta cheese
- 8 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 2 tablespoons diced pimento, drained
- 2 teaspoons spicy brown mustard
- ½ teaspoon white pepper
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 1-2 teaspoons sugar optional
- 6-8 fresh basil leaves
- Put all ingredients except basil leaves into the bowl of a food processor. Pulse until combined and fluffy. Tear up 3 or 4 of the basil leaves, add to the pimento cheese, and pulse until chopped and incorporated into the cheese. Roll up remaining leaves and slice into thin ribbons.
- Spoon cheese on top of warm fried green tomatoes. Garnish with basil ribbons.
Sweet ’n’ Hot Strawberry Spread for Fried Green Tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons drained chow chow
- 1 tablespoon strawberry jam or preserves
- fresh basil optional
- Stir to combine and spread onto fried green tomatoes.