Bet’cha never had a country ham taco eh? Time to change that…
This recipe was created for Rays Country Ham. You can order Rays NC ham with a nice 20% “Wendy Discount.” See info below.
Great recipe to enjoy anytime, especially for something different for Cinco de Mayo!
With the arrival of fresh local strawberries all around us now, it’s time to celebrate! Celebrate all the fresh produce coming our way with our country ham tacos at your Cinco de Mayo gatherings!
The saltiness in Rays Country Ham pairs so nicely with the vibrant sweetness of fresh fruits… and below you’ll find my tip for saving yourself some time with a quick spiff up of store-bought Pico or Salsa.
You can use this taco filling on nachos, salads and tostadas too… stuff mushrooms and bake with cheese on top. Let your imagination run.
**Get yourself some Rays Country Ham with a “WENDY Discount!” by clicking HERE! Just shop, add item(s) to cart, and put “wendy” in code box and a 20% discount will be applied to your order!
Disclosure: I only use and recommend products here I use myself. I may receive a small commission from affiliate links on this or other posts on this web site at no additional costs to you.
Find me on social media:
Be sure to visit my online stores:
Aunt Dee Dee’s Kitchen for my seasonings, dried goods, pickles, jams, preserves, kitchen linens and more! Lots of new goodies in 2022.
And for the best budget-friendly MADE IN THE USA by folks like you and me, my Rada Knives and Kitchen Tools online store.
THESE LINKS CAN ALSO BE FOUND ON SIDE MENU OF MY BLOG HOME PAGE.
Porky-Licious Country Ham Tacos with Strawberry Pineapple Pico
Taco Meat Ingredients:
- 8 ounces Rays Country Ham
- 1 lb. ground pork
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 3 tablespoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup water
- 3 tablespoons ketchup
- 3 tablespoons garlic paste
- 1 pint store bought Pico de Gallo or thicker type salsa
- ¾ cup each diced strawberries and pineapple (grab some from store salad bar)
- ½ cup loosely packed cilantro, roughly chopped
Other ingredients needed:
- 3-4 cups shredded iceberg lettuce
- 3 limes
- diced red onions (get these on store salad bar)
- sour cream
- about ½ cup queso fresco crumbling cheese
- small corn or flour tortillas
- several jalapenos, diced
- Cut up the ham a bit and put into food processor. Grind to a rough mealy texture.
- Heat oil in large skillet. Cook the country ham and pork together till tender and almost done. Stir in remaining ingredients and bring to a boil. Once boiling, reduce heat and continue on a low simmer, uncovered, until excess moisture cooks out and mixture reduces.(Can be frozen at this point for later use.)
- Pour bought pico/salsa into a bowl. Add diced strawberries, pineapple, honey, fresh minced cilantro to taste and diced onions. (Adjust honey per sweetness of the berries.)
- Warm tortillas. This can be done in oven, but I like to spray on both sides with buttery pan spray and lightly brown on each side in a hot skillet until a little puffy.
- Put shredded lettuce in bottom of tortillas to keep from getting soggy. Spoon taco filling over lettuce. Spoon on some of the strawberry sauce. Add a dollop of sour cream, then scatter with crumbled cheese, cilantro and diced jalapenos! Offer with lime wedges for those who wish to give a fresh squeeze to their tacos!
- Serve with favorite cold beverages.