Now I realize it’s not “Fall,” but this creamy chowder is perfect to serve year round… when you’ve got a hankerin’ for some. If you’re not a “clam digger,” just sub shrimp or crab… or even fish, in this recipe for an equally tasty bowl of yumminess.
The chowder comes together really fast… it will probably take you longer to prep the ingredients than it will to actually “cook” it. You can multitask and be cutting your veggies while the butter melts.
Be sure to make some of my Sweet Potato Hushpuppies to enjoy alongside this chowder too.
Sweet Potato Hushpuppies
This recipe created for and published in Carolina Country Magazine ~ October 2017
Food propping/styling and photography © (copyrighted) by Wendy Perry.
Carolina Country Magazine Contributing Recipes Editor
Disclosure: I only use and recommend products here I use myself. I may receive a small commission from affiliate links on this or other posts on this web site at no additional costs to you.
CLICK HERE TO SUBSCRIBE TO MY TABLE SCRAPS E-ZINE NEWSLETTER!
Find me on social media:
HomeEconomicsInAuntDeeDeesKitchen on FB
Wendy’s HOME Economics! Page on FB @culinaryadventuristwendy on IG
Aunt Dee Dee’s Kitchen Page on FB @auntdeedeeskitchen on IG
Credentials @ LinkedIn
Be sure to visit my online stores:
Aunt Dee Dee’s Kitchen for my seasonings, dried goods, pickles, jams, preserves, kitchen linens and more! Lots of new goodies in 2022.
And for the best budget-friendly MADE IN THE USA by folks like you and me, my Rada Knives and Kitchen Tools online store.
THESE LINKS CAN ALSO BE FOUND ON SIDE MENU OF MY BLOG HOME PAGE.
Creamy Fall Clam Chowder
- 1 cup butter
- 2 cups thinly sliced shallots
- 4-5 stalks celery, diced
- 2 red bell peppers, seeded and diced
- 8 ounces portabella mushrooms, chopped
- 2 tablespoons garlic paste
- ⅓ cup all purpose flour, (more if you prefer thicker chowder)
- several turns freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon white pepper
- 6 cups milk
- 6 cups half and half
- 3 tablespoons fresh thyme, or 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 5 10 ounce cans clams with juice
- salt to taste, (taste at the end)
- 8 slices bacon, cooked and crumbled
- Melt butter in a heavy pot over medium heat. Sauté shallot, celery, red peppers and mushrooms until tender. Stir in garlic. Add flour and black & white peppers.
- Cook 4–5 minutes, stirring often to incorporate flour. Whisk milk and half & half into flour mixture until smooth. Add thyme and clams.
- Simmer until slightly thickened being careful not to boil. Taste and add salt as needed. Garnish with crumbled bacon and sprigs of thyme.